Deadline: February 15, 2020 by 11:45 pm
Review Date: March 16, 2020
Earliest Start Date: April 15, 2020
Interim Report Deadline: February 15, 2021
Interim Report Approval/2nd payment: mid-March, 2021
Final Report Deadline: January 15, 2022
Online grants open for application approximately one month before the deadline date.
R2AC Community Arts Support (CAS) Grants are made possible by the voters of Minnesota thanks to a legislative appropriation from the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund (ACHF). The CAS grant program is also funded, in part, by an appropriation from the Minnesota State Legislature with money from the State’s general fund.
Two-year award amounts between $2,000 and $7,000 per year are based on an applicant organization’s averaged expenses for the two completed fiscal years previous to the application deadline. Payout of the 1st year award amount is contingent on completion and R2AC approval of the organization’s outcomes and evaluation measures. Pay out of the 2nd year of this grant award is contingent upon a completed interim report (February 15, 2021 deadline) including evidence of expenditure of the first year of funding, and a renewed commitment to the organization’s proposed outcomes, organizational growth, and stability as evidenced in the original application. Awarded organizations must expend the grant funds and submit a final report by January 15, 2022.
New Funding Levels in 2020!
Average Annual Expenses under
$5,000 receive $2,000/year funding support
Average Annual Expenses between
$5,000-$10,999 receive $3,000/year funding support
$11,000-$20,999 receive $4,000/year funding support
$21,000-$34,999 receive $5,000/year funding support
$35,000-$90,999 receive $6,000/year funding support
$91,000-$173,999 receive $7,000/year funding support
Note: Organizations with two-year averaged expenses of $174,000 and over are eligible to apply for a Minnesota State Arts Board (MSAB) operating support grant, but are NOT eligible for an R2AC Community Arts Support grant. Due to a difference between the fiscal years that R2AC and MSAB request, you may find your organization in between eligible funding levels. If your organization is in this situation, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 218-751-5447.
Eligible arts organizations are physically located with a legal address in one of the five counties of the Region 2 Arts Council service area (Beltrami, Clearwater, Lake of the Woods, Mahnomen, Hubbard), have arts programming at the center of their mission, and have been providing arts programming to our Region 2 Arts Council communities for a minimum of two full years prior to application for this grant award. Organizations that fit these criteria but do not hold 501(c)3 status must dedicate their first granted year to application for 501(c)3 status.
NEW! R2AC CAS operating support funds may not be used to cover an organization’s arts programming and project costs. This funding is designated for an organization’s operational costs; those costs that support an organization’s ability to provide arts programming. (To see Eligibility Criteria, click here)
Community Arts Support Grant Eligible Uses for Funding
- Administrative and operating expenses such as rent, utilities, wages/salaries, facility maintenance that support an organization’s growth, expansion, and improvement
- Capital improvement projects, which support arts access, education, and arts and cultural heritage activity, made to property owned by the applicant arts organization.
- Training for staff and board to expand and/or improve an organization’s accessibility and equity in its programming and practices.
- Development/improvement of diversity, equity, inclusion, and/or accessibility plans.
- Development/improvement of marketing and publicity plans including website development, engagement of consultants, etc. that will support an organization’s new or updated initiatives
- Free standing equipment for an arts organization’s office or facility, or non-expendable items, such as instruments, easels, computers, updated technology.
- Capacity building, audience and board development, feasibility studies, strategic planning, facilitation of networking, collaborative projects, outreach.
- Expenses associated with obtaining 501(c)3 tax exempt status for arts organizations or groups with a mission and purpose focused solely on the arts, to prepare organizations for increased arts programming.
Sample Application Form for download
FY20-21 Community Arts Support Grant Application (Sample only – cannot be submitted – only online submissions are accepted)