NOTE: Grant funded activity is listed first, followed by other arts activity in our region and state. Be sure to scroll to the end to see it all!
LISTING OF EVENTS & ARTS OPPORTUNITIES
The following activities are made possible by the voters of Minnesota through grants from the Region 2 Arts Council, thanks to a legislative appropriation from the Arts & Cultural Heritage Fund
Note: We update this page on a consistent basis so bookmark this page and check back frequently for ALL arts happenings!
ReGIon 2 Arts Council and State Arts Board funded events
- Now-July 21: Connecting With Kids Through Art – free classes at Gallery North! Pre-registration is required for these free classes. Visit the Gallery North website for more details! [Bemidji]
NOTE: This activity is funded, in part, by a grant from the Region 2 Arts Council funded by an appropriation from the Minnesota State Legislature with money from the State’s general fund
- Now-August 26 (1:00 to 3:00 p.m.): Painting workshops with Kathy and Les Sanders at Bemidji Senior Center
- ***RESCHEDULED to August 10,11,12 Northern Light Opera Company’s production of Hello Dolly [Park Rapids]
- August 19 (5 p.m. – 7 p.m.) Open House at Watermark Art Center for the exhibit Umbrellas of Unity (https://watermarkartcenter.org/umbrellas-of-unity/) a group show celebrating diversity while creating conversations and connections between people. Conceptualized by local Batik artist Mary Therese, recipient of a Region 2 Arts Council Individual Artist Grant to support her umbrella painting project, visitors are invited to enjoy the space underneath the umbrellas while reflecting on the messages depicted in the colorful images. Exhibit runs through October 22, 2022. Umbrellas will be available for purchase through an online auction beginning October 3.
- ***STAY TUNED! TO BE RESCHEDULED Lake of the Woods Art Guild offers an Acrylic Portrait Workshop with Alice Blessing.
- August 27: Bemidji Pride 2022 is a celebratory, interactive, one day event featuring artists of multiple genres and mediums to enhance the lives and visibility of LGBT2S+ individuals, families, allies and the Bemidji community. [Bemidji]
- September 11 (1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.): Intergenerational Family Dance Party hosted by the Bemidji Dance Academy with mixers, games, partner, line and group dances all taught by Suzy and Hondo. Activities geared for all ages. Contact Suzy for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org [Bemidji]
- September 10-11: A new musical, “Water from Snow,” by Janet Preus, Robert Elhai and Fred Steele. Mask & Rose Theater. Contact director Janet Preus for details: email@example.com or 651-271-7032. [Puposky]
- On view through October 1: Nemeth Art Center – A two-person show of new works from Brooklyn-based artists Dana Schutz and Ryan Johnson. [Park Rapids]
OTHER summer events in THE REGION
- Every Wednesday (12:00 p.m.): Bemidji Area Church Musicians 2022 Summer Recital Series. Each Wednesday at noon, an area church hosts a free recital (free-will offering supports music scholarships) followed by a luncheon. Stay connected via Facebook! or email firstname.lastname@example.org for full schedule. [Bemidji]
- Every Wednesday (6:00 p.m.): Mississippi Music at the Bemidji Water Front concerts every Wednesday evening. In the case of inclement weather, the backup location is the Rail River Folk School, 303 Railroad St. SW. Up-to-date information on their FB page. [Bemidji]
- Every Thursday (6:00 p.m.): Second Street Stage concerts every Thursday evening. Up-to-date information on their FB page. [Park Rapids]
- Every Thursday (12:15 p.m.): Noon Hour Concerts held at various locations. [Park Rapids]
- July 30 – August 14: Long Lake Theater‘s production of Church Basement Ladies: A Second Helping. [Park Rapids]
- August 7: Bemidji Area Community Band final concert on Bangsberg Fine Arts Complex lawn. Bring a chair! [Bemidji]
- August 11, 18, 25: Plein Air Painting with Gillian Bedford – For adults ages 15 and up. [Bemidji]
- August 18: Headwaters Music & Arts co-hosts an album release concert at the Historic Carnegie Library with the musical duo, Augmeanted for their debut album “Life Twice”. Augmeanted was formed by cousins Geoffrey Taylor and Mary Overlie.[Bemidji]
- August 19 & 20: Create it! Workshops – Come and have fun creating! Acrylic painting, wire wrapping jewelry, paper making, needle felting, paper quilling, basket weaving and so much more. Register to join the fun! [Gonvick]
- August 20 & 21: Art Fair at the Winery at Forestedge Winery. [Laporte]
- August 20 & 21: Long Lake Theater‘s production of Roy Orbison/Buddy Holly tributes with guest artists. [Park Rapids]
- August 25 – 27: Red Shoes Writing Retreat – The retreat weekend has been designed to give each individual the opportunity to dive into the writing craft, the writer’s life, and, of course, writing! [Fosston]
- August 27: Wild Rice Arts and Cultural Festival. Lots of events all day along with vendors. [Mahnomen]
- September 10 (10a.m. – 12:30 p.m.) Watermark Art Center is offering the class “Stained Glass Mosaic” with guest instructor JoAnn McFarlin on Saturday, September 10, 2022 from 10am to 12:30pm. Students will create a stunning glass-on-glass mosaic while learning techniques including glass cutting, proper adhesive use, and color composition. The finished piece will be approximately 4 x 6 inches and ready to hang. Register online at watermarkartcenter.org. (Bemidji)
ON-GOING MONTHLY OPPORTUNITIES
- Gallery North [Bemidji]
First Friday Open House – 2PM to 5PM
Creative Café on the third Tuesday of every month – 4PM to 6PM [A fun event where artists will take you on a hands-on adventure into the arts]
- Clear Waters Life Center – [Gonvick]
Create it! Sessions: Once a month, learn something new! Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced skills of all ages are welcome. Second Monday of the Month
Community Art Studios: Studio mentors, Karen and LeAnne, are ready to help you with your project if you need assistance. All ages welcome, adult supervision is required for 12 and younger.
COMMUNITY EVENT CALENDARS
- Visit Heartland Arts Calendar for more Park Rapids Area events: https://www.heartlandarts.org/pages/events/events.php
- Visit Watermark Art Center for more WAC exhibits and workshops
- Visit Nemeth Art Center for upcoming exhibits
- Visit Headwaters Music and Arts for upcoming activity
Did we miss something you know about? Help us update the information by emailing email@example.com with your event information!