Maximum Award: $6,000 (no cash match required for this grant)
Deadline: March 15, 2021 by 11:45 p.m.
Review Date: April 10, 2021
Earliest Start Date: May 1, 2021
Online grants open for application approximately one month before the deadline date.
Important changes this year: Please read carefully!
Application open to organizations located in Beltrami, Hubbard, Clearwater, Lake of the Woods, and Mahnomen counties only.
501c3 Arts Organizations may submit up to one operating support grant and one arts project grant, or two arts project grant applications in this grant round.
The following nonprofit entities may submit up to two arts project grant applications in this grant round:
- schools (parochial schools are ineligible)
- community education programs*
- institutions of higher learning (colleges or universities)
- non-profits providing arts programming
- local city, town, county government entities
- tribal government entities
- arts organizations
- Groups without 501(c)3 nonprofit tax status must be formed for non-profit purposes, must have the equivalent of a governing body similar to a board of directors or advisory council, and must use a Minnesota-based non-profit, tax exempt 501(c)3 organization, or other tax-exempt entity such as a school, institution of higher learning, or city, town, county, or tribal government as a fiscal sponsor.
*Based on Minnesota Statute 124D.19, Community Education Programs will be assumed to be operated by the school district and will be subject to all grant guidelines that apply to schools.
Intention for Arts Access Projects and Operating Support
Arts Access funding in this grant round is designated for arts creation, production, presentation and operational support that lead to high-quality, accessible activities that help instill the arts into the community and public life in our region. Eligible grant proposals must display a commitment to reaching wider audiences through providing new and/or expanded arts programming to residents of our region’s counties, and/or by supporting accessibility initiatives through the project or as a result of operating support. Eligible proposals must show dedication to removing barriers that audiences may have to accessing arts activities.
Activity must begin within 12 months of the earliest start date, and must be completed by June 30, 2022. Previously awarded arts activity that did not occur because of COVID-19 must contain explicitly new and/or expanded elements in order to be eligible.
Arts activities proposed for funding must be open to the public (not exclusively serving faculty, staff, students, board or organization membership). Eligible proposals must be realistic, adaptive to restrictions that exist during this global pandemic, and adhere to state mandated COVID-19 restrictions and guidelines.
Eligible Uses for Arts Project Support
- Public art projects
- Arts festivals
- Engagement of guest artists
- Arts field trips
- Arts workshops
- Arts exhibitions
- Arts presentations
- Arts performances
Eligible Uses for Operating Support for Arts Organizations ONLY
- Administrative and operating expenses such as rent, utilities, wages/salaries, facility maintenance that support an organization’s growth, expansion, and improvement
- Capital improvement projects, which support arts access, education, and arts and cultural heritage activity, made to property owned by the applicant arts organization.
- Training for staff and board to expand and/or improve an organization’s accessibility and equity in its programming and practices.
- Development/improvement of diversity, equity, inclusion, and/or accessibility plans.
- Development/improvement of marketing and publicity plans including website development, engagement of consultants, etc. that will support an organization’s new or updated initiatives.
- Free standing equipment for an arts organization’s office or facility, or non-expendable items, such as instruments, easels, computers, updated technology.
- Capacity building, audience and board development, feasibility studies, strategic planning, facilitation of networking, collaborative projects, outreach.
Is your grant project eligible? Is your organization? Check out our eligibility sections: Arts Access Grant Eligibility Requirements for Arts Project Support and Arts Access Grant Eligibility Requirements for Operating Support. If you can answer true to all the statements, then you should be eligible to apply for that kind of funding. If you answer false to one of the statements, please contact us to discuss your eligibility.
The Grant Application
Budget Guidelines and Budget Template
IMPORTANT FOR ALL APPLICANTS: Project specific costs incurred and paid prior to a project’s Earliest Start Date will make a project ineligible for funding. Read about this and more:
R2AC FY21 Budget Guidelines for Organizations
R2AC FY21 Arts Access Grant for Operating Support for Arts Organizations Budget Template
R2AC FY21 Arts Access Grant for Arts Project Support Budget Template
Sample Application Form for download
FY21 Full Arts Access Grant Application
FY21 Arts Access Grant Application, Arts Project Support Track
FY21 Arts Access Grant Application, Operating Support for Arts Organizations Track
(Samples only – cannot be submitted – only online submissions are accepted)
Sample Arts Access Responses
Looking for an artist for your project or idea? Check our new Teaching Artist Roster!
Region 2 Arts Council Arts Access Grants are made possible by the voters of Minnesota thanks to a legislative appropriation from the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund.